- Professor Emeritus of Sociology, State University of New York at Potsdam
- Pro to the question "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?"
“A recent study of the effectiveness of alcohol education programs compared those that present an abstinence-only message with those that present drinking in moderation as an option. It is clear that programs accepting responsible use are demonstrably more successful than are no-use-only programs.
In spite of noble intentions and the expenditure of massive amounts of time, energy, and money the best evidence shows that our current abstinence-oriented alcohol education is ineffective. Simply doing more of what is not working will not lead to success; it is essential that we re-think our approach to the [underage drinking] problem.”
“Underage Drinking,” www2.potsdam.edu (accessed Oct. 7, 2010)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the minimum legal drinking age. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the minimum legal drinking age.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Professor Emeritus, Sociology, State University of New York at Potsdam, 2006-present
- Advisory Board member, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2007-present
- Member, Board of Advisors, National Youth Rights Association, 1998-present
- Testimony on effects of Sunday alcohol beverage sales presented to the Indiana State Assembly Interim Study Committee on Alcoholic Beverages, Sep. 15, 2009
- Professor, Sociology, State University of New York at Potsdam, 1985-2006
- Expert testimony on alcohol advertising and marketing to youth presented to New York State Assembly Standing Committee on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, Oct. 22, 2002
- President, New York State Sociological Association, 1982-1983, 1993-1994
- Runs two websites covering alcohol related issues, www.alcoholfacts.org and www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj
- PhD, Sociology, Syracuse University, 1972
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?