- Author and Independent Journalist
- Pro to the question "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?"
“Return the drinking age to 18 — and then enforce the law. The current system, which forbids alcohol to Americans under 21, is widely flouted, with disastrous consequences. Teaching people to drink responsibly before they turn 21 would enormously enhance public health. Now, high school and college kids view dangerous binge drinking as a rite of passage.
The current law, passed in all 50 states in the 1980s, was intended to diminish the number of traffic deaths caused by young drunk drivers. It has succeeded in that — but tougher seatbelt and D.U.I. rules have contributed to the decrease, too. Raising the drinking age hasn’t reduced drinking — it’s merely driven it underground, to the riskiest of settings: unsupervised high school blowouts and fraternity parties that make ‘Animal House’ look quaint. This age segregation leads the drinking away from adults, who could model moderation.”
“Return the Drinking Age to 18, and Enforce It,” nytimes.com, Feb. 10, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Staff Reporter, The Oregonian, Jan. 2003-Jan. 2008
- Journalism Instructor, Graduate School of Journalism, Columbia University, June 1996-July 2002
- Independent Journalist, New York Times, New York Times Magazine, The Atlantic, Daily Beast,Reader’s Digest, ProPublica, and others
- Warsaw Correspondent, The Economist, Apr. 1990-Jan. 1993
- News Reporter, Associated Press, Mar. 1989-Feb. 1990
- News Assistant, R.W. Apple, Jr., New York Times, Sep. 1987-Mar. 1989
- MA, Latin American History, Stanford University
- BA, History, with honors, Stanford University, 1986
- Contact Info:
- Twitter handle: @gabrielleglaser
- Professional working proficiency in French and Portuguese
- Lives in New Jersey with her husband and three daughters
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?