- Director of Content for the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE)
- Pro to the question "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?"
“What good would lowering the drinking age do? It would put an end to the perverse culture of secretiveness and abuse that has grown up around underage drinking. It would allow bars and restaurants to become ‘safe spaces’ for college-age students to drink and Uber home if they need to. Proponents will undoubtedly also emphasize the revenue gains for the state that would come from legalization.
But the longer-term gains would be cultural. We could begin to foster a more European-style culture of drinking that promotes responsibility and civilized sobriety. People are more likely to act like adults if you treat them as adults. Prohibition has promoted a horrible childishness with terrible results for everyone…
No, lowering the drinking age would not create utopia, and it does introduce a different set of problems. The difference is that these problems can be dealt with in the same way that society deals with other problems: family, education, cultural change, liability, and institutional supervision. Society can’t even begin to deal with the problems of youth drinking as long as it exists in dark, hidden corners. The national drinking age has had terrible consequences. As with Prohibition, it’s time we admit it and move on, into the light.”
“3 States Consider Lowering the Drinking Age,” fee.org, Jan. 11, 2016
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director of Content, Foundation for Economic Education (FEE)
- Chief Liberty Officer and Founder, Liberty.me, Oct. 2013-present
- Founder, CryptoCurrency Conference
- Policy Advisor, Heartland Institute
- Research Fellow, Acton Institute, Jan. 2012-present
- Editor in Chief and Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books, Nov. 2011-present
- Director of Publications, Church Music Association of America, 2007-present
- Editorial Vice President, Ludwig von Mises Institute USA, 1990-2011
- BS, Economics, Howard Payne University
- Contact Info:
- Twitter: @JeffreyATucker
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?