- Associate Professor of Human Development at Penn State University
- Con to the question "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?"
“One of the most successful interventions has been the adoption of age 21 as the legal drinking age… The National Highway Traffic Administration estimates that a legal drinking age of 21 has prevented greater than 21,000 deaths since 1976. Furthermore, zero-tolerance laws, which make it illegal for drivers less than 21 years of age to drive after any drinking, have been associated with approximately 20% decreases in alcohol-related crashes and DWIs.”
Cowritten with S. Brown, et al,”A Developmental Perspective on Alcohol and Youths 16 to 20 Years of Age,” Pediatrics, Apr. 12, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the minimum legal drinking age. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the minimum legal drinking age.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Studies, Penn State University, 2004-present
- Faculty Associate, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 2008-present
- Research Associate, Centre for Longitudinal Studies, Institute of Education, University of London, 2006-present
- Visiting Scholar, Institute of Education, University of London, 2003
- Assistant and Associate Professor, Family Studies and Human Development, University of Arizona, 1996-2003
- Adjunct Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 1996-2003
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Victoria, 2000
- Research Investigator, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 1995
- Visiting Scholar, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 1993-1995
- Visiting Scientist, Prevention and Intervention in Childhood and Adolescence, Faculty of Public Health, Universität Bielefeld, Germany, 1993-1994
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, University of Victoria, 1993
- MA, Developmental Psychology, University of Victoria, 1990
- BA, Psychology, University of Ottawa, 1986
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?